Saturday, April 4, 2009

Irrelevant Semantics (or, We're Gonna the 'Ship!)

I woke up at 6:45 today. And today is Saturday. That doesn't happen very often. Or ever really, unless I have a very, very good reason for doing so. And today, that reason was Rapha Run! Rapha House is a ministry in Cambodia that ministers to girls rescued from human trafficking and the sex trade, so today there was a 5K run to raise money for the mission. I had never run anything measured in kilometers before. I had never really run anything that wasn't measured in several dozen feet. As part of my training for the event, I went running with a few other people on Thursday. At the time, that was probably the farthest I had ever run at one time, but it was less than half the distance I did today. My goal for the 5K was just to run as far as I could and then walk the rest, but I ended up running the whole thing without stopping, and I feel very proud of myself, though I hope not in a sinful way. But accomplishing something you've never done before and doubted that you could do is a pretty good feeling. However, I never did receive that "runner's high" that they always talk about. All I got was "runner's intestinal pain."

This afternoon I went to Josh Negron's and Ashley Davis's wedding, which was fine. There was quite the Ozark crowd there. The cake was good, but I didn't get to eat any of the cheesecake Hershey kisses because Charlie and Caitlyn stole them all. Then after the wedding was the Michigan State/UConn game, which Michigan State won, bringing joy to everybody who's anybody. Championship game on Monday. Watch it. And if MSU wins, celebrate and buy me a present. And if they lose, leave me alone.

So here's what I want to write about today. This is a thought that came to me during the worship songs at chapel on Tuesday. I've decided that "gonna" should be it's own word. When we hear the word "gonna," we think of it as a contraction of "going to." We're lazy Americans, so we seize every opportunity to join our words together. After all, it's so laborious to pause between words. However, saying "gonna" instead of "going to" only makes sense in certain situations. What I've noticed is that we can only say "gonna" when it is followed by another verb in the sense of "I'm going to do something." We can say "I'm gonna play basketball tomorrow" or "I'm gonna marry David someday, I hope." But there are other times we say "going to" in which it would be nonsense to say "gonna." This would be when we talk about going to a place. For instance, I can say "I'm going to Chick-fil-A for lunch," but we can't say "I'm gonna Chick-fil-A today."

So "gonna" is something more than a mere contraction of "going to." So I guess it should be considered as its own word. I'm not enough of a linguistic expert to advocate that "gonna" should receive its own entry in a dictionary. Maybe it already does; I don't know. But if not, and some dictionary decides to put it in someday, I'll write the entry if they want me to.

Announcement for all you Joplinites: Chelsea Luckett and several other students are working on putting together a bake sale to raise money for a ministry (House of Hope I think, or something similar). But anyways, if any of you have the talent and resources and desire for baking, you should get in touch with her, because I'm sure she would very much welcome the help. I would bake something, but when I was a high school sophomore I was forced into partaking in a bake-off for the school newspaper staff, and my pineapple upside-down cake took dead last.

Sorry for wasting your time today. If you've read this far, I hope you'll read one of my other posts that has somewhat more significance to it. Even if you've already read them before, reread one of them. And then go to www.myspace.com/worthyprisoners and listen to "The Fight." And then go do something productive to make up for all the lost time.

No comments: