Wednesday, March 16, 2011

To The Republic

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which is stands, one nation under God, with liberty and justice for all.

Every American knows those words. We are taught to recite the Pledge of Allegiance from the time we're born, it seems. They may be the most oft-quoted words in America, except for "Happy birthday" or "So have you read D-Heff's latest blog post?" When I was in elementary school, every day began with the entire student body turning toward the giant American flag hanging on the wall, and we would recite the Pledge of Allegiance with our hands over our hearts. It becomes so routine, in fact, that we don't even give the words a second thought. They're just natural.

I wonder, however: As Christians, should we say the Pledge of Allegiance? Most Christians in this nations would say, "Of course we should. God and country--that's what we're all about." The appropriateness of reciting these words goes unquestioned. I have even been in churches when the entire church says the Pledge of Allegiance together Independence Day (shudder). The more I think about it though, the more I am convinced that the Pledge of Allegiance doesn't have a place in the life of a Christian.

Can a person have allegiance to two kingdoms? That is what it boils down to. As a Christian, I am part of Christ's kingdom. That's where my allegiance lies. Can I, then, also claim to have allegiance to that nation in which I live?

What if we took this concept and put it in a different context? For example, would it be alright for a Christian in China to pledge allegiance to China? Or for a Christian in Iran to pledge allegiance to Iran? Or could a first-century Christian have pledged allegiance to Rome? How then is it acceptable for American Christians to pledge allegiance to the United States? Now, you may argue, "But those other places are pagan nations. We live in a Christian nation." I would disagree with such a proposition. You can check out my earlier treatment of that topic, which is more complete but certainly not exhaustive. Those who think it's okay to give their allegiance to America because we live in a "Christian nation" may not be looking at the American values that are contradictory to God's kingdom. I haven't checked in a while, but the last I knew, "patriotism" wasn't listed as a fruit of the Spirit.

I hesitate a little to post this, because the truth is that I'm not completely sold out on an answer to these questions, though I guess it's obvious which way I'm leaning. But for the most part, publishing ideas that you're unsure on (and not very knowledgeable about) is a dangerous enterprise. So please join in the conversation. Leave a comment and let us know what you think. And enjoy March Madness. It is the most wonderful time of the year.

2 comments:

ElijahD said...

The simple statement "one nation under God" means that when we say the pledge it is just patriotism. We are proud to be apart of this country like a native of pittsburgh is proud to be a steelers fan. the controversy comes when you look into the first line "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united states of america" These words can sting to someone whose allegiance is to the only God and creator of the universe, but they aren't to be necessarily looked into. Atheists say "under God" and we say "we pledge allegiance" because, (now this is just my opinion/speculation) it IS just patriotism. If ever your heart looks to America before God, thats when there is an issue

Charlie Landis said...

First off...Dave, are we going to be seeing your kids on the news someday where they are making a stand in school and turning their backs to the flag during our National Anthem?

But On a Serious Note (yes, I just did that), we talked a little about this yesterday, and I think we should pledge our allegiance to God. However, when you are saying you pledge allegiance to the United States is that a bad thing? I really don't think so.

When we say "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America," you are not saying, "I pledge my entire devotion, all of my time and energy, and purpose to the flag of the United States of America." In Reality, I think we are choosing to say, "I am loyal to my country and I am identifying with it." I think we do the same when we pay taxes and take advantage of the many freedoms/opportunities given to us by this country.

So I don't think it is a sin or not smart to say the pledge of allegiance. Now I think Elijah is right when he says, "It ever your heart looks to America before God, that's when there is an issue." If we start to say the pledge of allegiance more than we pray...we are in trouble!