Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Rhythm

Everyone has some annoying habits of which they are unaware. Some of us have more than others. I think my most obnoxious habit (if you know of something I do that is more obnoxious, I guess you're free to let me know in the comments) is that I'm often tapping on something. I'll get a beat or a song in my head, and I have the unconscious urge to play it out on whatever is handy--my knees, a table, a soda can, the space between my knuckles, a pretty girl's shoulder (smooth, I know). I'm a walking percussion section. I'm just sad that sometimes, other people don't enjoy my fat beats quite as much as I do.

It's somewhat of a little-known-fact that I play the drums. When people learn that about me, they often say something like, "Really? I never would have figured that." (They say the same sort of thing when I tell them I like to play basketball, or when I tell them I had a girlfriend once.) I think that's why I'm often tapping on things. I feel rhythm. I notice patterns, and I play those patterns out in my mindless movements. 

I've been thinking about how my penchant for rhythm shows up in other ways in my life. Lately I have been struggling with the fact that, in my present situation, my life feels out of sync. My job requires that I work on a rotating schedule, meaning that it always changes. Some days I'll work in the morning, some days in the evening. Some days I'll work four hours, some days eight hours. Every day is different, and every week is different yet. There isn't any continuity. No rhythm. 

I've noticed that when that large of a chunk of my time lacks rhythm, it's really difficult for me to be productive with the rest of my time. If I have X number of open hours in my week that I can use for homework, chores, or other responsibilities, I tend to misuse when they are scattered randomly throughout the week. I need the routine, the consistency, in order to maximize all of my time.

Even though I enjoy routine and rhythm, I would still consider myself a flexible person. I think of flexibility as the ability to divert from the routine. A good drummer must be able to play a consistent beat, but he will still throw in a few aberrations to mix it up. That's what a flexible person can do. He doesn't mind stepping away from the routine for a moment when circumstances require it. 

To divert from a rhythm, however, a rhythm must first exist. That's been my frustration. Each week is like being in a boat at sea during a storm, and I never get a chance to step onto dry land.

I write all of this simply to point out that it's important for each of us to understand how we best use time and to create systems that allow us to use it to its fullest potential. Since much of my scheduling is out of my control, it helps me to make a daily schedule at the beginning of each week. I break up each day into various activities that I need to get done and find a place for them. Then I hang the thing on my fridge, and it helps me stay on track and not get carried away by distractions. So, for 9:30 on Tuesday this week, it tells me to write a blog post. And here I am.

I'm interested to hear--how do you prefer your time to be organized? Are you like me, with a preference for routine but willing to mix it up when duty calls? Or are you even more attached to routine, so that any diversion upsets the order? Or maybe you're on the other complete other end, and you hate routine, and you want every single day to be different? Comment it up.

No comments: